I just got back from a showing of "The Story of Stuff" at my local church, and all I can say is 'Wow.' I know this mini-documentary is nothing new, but I am so glad I was able to watch it. If you have never watched it, I highly recommend you do (all twentyish minutes of it is very worth your time). After watching it, I will:
- be more aware of how much I am consuming, from the paper cup I drink coffee out of, to the five napkins I take from my cafeteria
- be more aware of the quality of clothing I buy (I will not be sucked into planned obsolescence)
- try to change my lifestyle
- realize that recycling is not the answer
- realize that I cannot buy my way to a better environment through reusable bags, an energy efficient car, etc.
Looking around my bedroom now makes me feel really guilty. I am a known pack rat, and now I know that being a pack rat is no longer an O.K. thing. I mean think of everything you really consume on a daily basis...really think. It's not just a coffee and some gas.