Sunday, November 25, 2007

"Upscale" cheapies?

Cheap no more.

Every now and then, fashionistas like myself I'm sure head to a Goodwill or other thrift store in hopes of finding a name-brand bargain. There's a certain thrill that comes with finding a vintage hat or purse for a few bucks, rather than its original hundred or so. But yesterday when I ventured to the Westport, CT Goodwill in hopes of finding such a steal, instead I found Burberry trench coats for $90, and real fur coats for $300+. Is Goodwill really allowed to charge that much?! I was so shocked and disappointed at the price of these jackets that I left with nothing in hand. (I also found a pair of Marc Jacobs jeans ... an incredibly ugly pair, nonetheless).

Today, I went to a more local Goodwill, not ready to give up so fast on my search for a vintage-y item. There were also $100 fur coats there, and jewelry grab bags for $20. Once again, I bought nothing.

A few minutes ago while browsing Fashionista, I came across an ad for Patricia Field for Payless, a limited edition holiday collection. I adored these boots, but when I saw the price, I was shocked. $55 for Payless boots?! Are you kidding me?

Is anyone else shocked by the new 'upscale' ways of cheap stores? Have you found an item you love, only to discover its higher-than-average price tag? Or is all this frustration completely irrational?

-K.B.

P.S. I'm back! All of my college applications are done, with the exception of F.I.T. ... my portfolio review is on December 8th though, so I'm still working my tail off!

3 comments:

la petite fashionista said...

yes! it bothers me that all the guest designers for big retail stores are so much more expensive. The fact that the label on the inside or tag can determine such a price fluctuation of a garment of the same materials construction is so frustrating.
xoxo

sara said...

I absolutely know, when I got to Goodwill shirts and jackets are almost the same price as buying them new on clearance somewhere else. It's said and depressing.

x sara o

LalaLiu said...

how exciting that your done with college applications! I seriously was ready to party after finishing all of mine. Goodwill is always pricey everytime I go. I agree with sara, with some of the prices I could just head in to target or tjmaxx and buy something new on sale for the same price. I guess "cheap stores" know that when they add the designed by someone famous or a esteemed designer that people will think "ooo! that's a designer" and will be willing to shell out the money. Supply and demand baby..supply and demand. Oh man, I just applied economics in everyday life. I guess college is working!